5 December 2016 at 8-9pm
- How aware are people about guidelines on weekly units of alcohol, or even what a unit is?
- Are people aware of the calories in the alcohol they consume?
- What role could manufacturers and retailers play in communicating calories and units more clearly?
- What role do dietitians & registered nutritionists have in educating people on alcohol calories & our overall health?
- Are there any good apps or websites which are useful to share, and what else might be helpful?
Our special guest for this was @AmandaUrsell, a nutritionist with over 25 years of experience of working in the area of nutrition. She is also the winner of the HFMA Health Writer of The Year award and twice voted the most influential health professional in the UK.
This twitter chat was kindly supported by Diageo.
Read what we discussed here: Alcohol Awareness
7 November 2016 at 8-9pm
- Do probiotics have a role within gut health?
- Is there a research evidence base to support probiotics within gastrointestinal health?
- Are there any foods rich in probiotics which you would recommend?
- Probiotics come in many forms, are any better than others?
- Do you envisage probiotics becoming a staple part of our dietary needs?
Our special guest will be Professor Kevin Whelan from King’s College, London. Prof Whelan’s area of research interest is the interaction between the gastrointestinal microbiota, dietary composition and health and disease. Kevin performs clinical trials in probiotics, prebiotics, fibre and fermentable carbohydrates, with molecular microbiology to measure their impact on the microbiota.
This chat was kindly supported by Symprove.
Read what we discussed here: Probiotics
12 September 2016 at 8-9pm
- Why does nutrition matter for kids at school? #rduk
- What should kids be eating at school? #rduk
- What about hydration? #rduk
- Any good recipes or ideas for school snacks/lunch boxes? #rduk
- Please share any useful resources or links for parents?
Read what we discussed here: School Food
Please join us for a lunchtime chat this week as part of the British Dietetic Association’s “Dietitians Week”
Food and Mood – 6 June 2016 at 1-2pm
- How does food & drink influence our feelings & mood?
- We all have good days & bad days but what is the research evidence that links how we feel & what we eat?
- Which foods positively influence mood?
- What meals and snacks might a working day of Good Mood Food ideally contain
- What role does what we drink play in feeling well at work?
Read what we discussed here: Food & Mood
9 May 2016 at 8-9pm
- What is the nutrition profile of popular #soya foods in the UK? #rduk
- What are the key health benefits of consuming #soya foods and drinks from 1+ years? What does the science say? #rduk
- What are the common #soya myths and what does the clinical evidence actually demonstrate #rduk
- What #soya resources have you found helpful/would like to see more of? #rduk
- How can RDs help overcome consumer myths related to #soya? #rduk
Read what we discussed here: Soya foods: are there still controversies?
This twitter chat was kindly supported by Alpro
18 April 2016 at 8-9pm
- What is mindful eating? #mindfulness #rduk
- How can #mindfulness be applied in helping people change dietary #behaviour? #rduk
- Do we only eat when we’re #hungry? #mindfulness #rduk
- What are the key steps to mindful eating? #mindfulness #rduk
- How can people find out more about #mindfulness? #rduk
Read what we discussed here: Mindful Eating
14 March 2016 at 8-9pm
- What strategies can #hospitals, #carehomes & #schools use to ensure they are meeting their patients, residents & pupil’s hydration needs?
- What are your top tips for encouraging people to drink more?
- How can employers (incl. NHS) play a part in encouraging gd hydration among their staff?
- What are the early warning signs to look for in those at risk of becoming dehydrated?
- Where can we find practical information & resources that promote #hydration awareness?
Read what we discussed here: Hydration